Marketplace for Freelancers & Businesses

“Tertiary education is no longer relevant.” Do you agree with this statement?

Kennysplash

Apprentice
Credits
Many people today believe that having a higher degree is no longer worth it, due to the low job market available. For example, a worker in Mc Donald’s makes almost the same hourly rate with, let’s say a teacher that has a degree.

This situation has made these people conclude that what is the use of wasting time, effort and resources just to make what they would still make if they didn’t pursue tertiary education.

What is your opinion about this?

Tertiary education is still very essential, as it helps develop critical thinking, skills, and expertise. So many believe that it's outdated due to changing workforce needs and technological advancements. Tertiary education has become irrelevant due to being overpriced and inaccessible to many, and this has lead to choosing alternative paths.

Based on my opinion, some fields may not require a degree, but there are many that still do. Tertiary education provides valuable experiences and also provides opportunities for skill development that can't be replicated elsewhere.

Traditional tertiary education may not be the only path to success, especially now that there are rising costs and online resources. However, it's very certain that some fields still require formal education and training, so it's not entirely irrelevant.

Totally disagree.

I don't have very strong people skills - but I do have very strong academic skills, so, when applying for jobs, I was able to point to my First Class degree from Oxford as proof that I'd be an able employee.

Without that, I don't know what I would have done!

Totally disagree.

I don't have very strong people skills - but I do have very strong academic skills, so, when applying for jobs, I was able to point to my First Class degree from Oxford as proof that I'd be an able employee.

Without that, I don't know what I would have done!
I completely agree with you! Tertiary education provides a very good foundation for critical thinking and the credentials can definitely open doors to opportunities, but that doesn't mean we can't succeed without degrees.

Back