Marketplace for Freelancers & Businesses

Apple to Debut Passwords App in Challenge to 1Password, LastPass

Cpvr

Novice Trader
Staff member
Community Moderator
Credits
Apple Inc. is set to introduce a new app called Passwords next week, designed to simplify logging into websites and software for customers, according to sources familiar with the matter.

The app will be part of iOS 18, iPadOS 18, and macOS 15, the upcoming major updates to Apple's iPhone, iPad, and Mac operating systems. These sources, who requested anonymity as the initiative hasn't been publicly announced, stated that Passwords will be revealed on June 10 at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference.

Powered by iCloud Keychain, an existing Apple service that syncs passwords and account information across devices, the new app will now generate and track passwords in a dedicated interface. Previously, this functionality was embedded within the settings app or appeared during login processes.

By launching Passwords as a standalone app, Apple aims to encourage the use of secure passwords and enhance device privacy. This move also increases competition with third-party password managers like 1Password and LastPass, with Apple offering the ability to import passwords from these rival services.

A representative for Apple, based in Cupertino, California, declined to comment.

The Passwords app will feature a list of user logins organized into categories such as accounts, Wi-Fi networks, and Passkeys—Apple's promoted password replacement leveraging Face ID and Touch ID. Like other password managers, the app will autofill login data for websites and apps.

Additionally, the software will be compatible with the Vision Pro headset and Windows computers, and it will support verification codes, functioning similarly to an authentication app like Google Authenticator.

Source: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...swords-app-in-challenge-to-1password-lastpass

What does everyone here think about Apple’s upcoming new Passwords app?

Apple Inc. is set to introduce a new app called Passwords next week, designed to simplify logging into websites and software for customers, according to sources familiar with the matter.

The app will be part of iOS 18, iPadOS 18, and macOS 15, the upcoming major updates to Apple's iPhone, iPad, and Mac operating systems. These sources, who requested anonymity as the initiative hasn't been publicly announced, stated that Passwords will be revealed on June 10 at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference.

Powered by iCloud Keychain, an existing Apple service that syncs passwords and account information across devices, the new app will now generate and track passwords in a dedicated interface. Previously, this functionality was embedded within the settings app or appeared during login processes.

By launching Passwords as a standalone app, Apple aims to encourage the use of secure passwords and enhance device privacy. This move also increases competition with third-party password managers like 1Password and LastPass, with Apple offering the ability to import passwords from these rival services.

A representative for Apple, based in Cupertino, California, declined to comment.

The Passwords app will feature a list of user logins organized into categories such as accounts, Wi-Fi networks, and Passkeys—Apple's promoted password replacement leveraging Face ID and Touch ID. Like other password managers, the app will autofill login data for websites and apps.

Additionally, the software will be compatible with the Vision Pro headset and Windows computers, and it will support verification codes, functioning similarly to an authentication app like Google Authenticator.

Source: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...swords-app-in-challenge-to-1password-lastpass

I know for sure that it's going to work well with Apple devices but I can't be certain for how it's going to work for another devices and that's if they will make it available for other devices.

I feel as though it could be a horrible idea especially if someone can get access onto other peoples phone, then they have all of that persons login and password info. I'm not sure if I'd completely trust the s
I know for sure that it's going to work well with Apple devices but I can't be certain for how it's going to work for another devices and that's if they will make it available for other devices.
That's what I'm thinking too. I have an android and I'm a little iffy on how the app would actually work on my phone. I'm sure over time they can work out all the kinks but for now I just see a lot of issues.

I use LastPass myself and I know they've had account compromises in the past. I wouldn't mind giving Apple Passwords a shot if it seems more secure, modern, and full of nifty features. Password managers make my life so much easier. I beef up the security of my account as much as possible to prevent people from getting in.

I don't use Apple at the moment but I have in the past. Having a password app I can only imagine would benefit so many Apple users and I know with Last Pass they have had some issues so this may very well be a welcome addition.

Apple is actually launching a new Passwords app. It'll generate strong passwords and store them all in one place and it’ll even auto-fill login credentials as well.

Back