Marketplace for Freelancers & Businesses

Beware of fake clients on Telegram – Protect yourself

Cedric

Agora Founder
Staff member
Administration
Credits
This is something I've noticed lately being a unfortunate trend on Facebook groups and I wanted to share a friendly heads-up about it. There's been an increase in people pretending to be clients on Telegram, but they're actually out to scam hardworking freelancers like us.

These fake clients often sound very convincing. They might even offer you what seems like a great project, but before you know it, you're caught in a scam. The key thing to remember is this: if you're doing business through Telegram, always do your homework on the company or person you're dealing with.

Here are a few quick tips to protect yourself:

1. Research the client: Before accepting any work, take a few minutes to Google the company or person. Look for reviews or any red flags.
  2. Trust your gut: I've said this before but if something feels off or too good to be true, it probably is. Don’t be afraid to walk away.
  3. Get verification: Ask for references or a company website. A legitimate client won't hesitate to provide you with proof of their credibility.
  4. Stick to secure payment methods: Never agree to payment methods that seem suspicious. Stick to platforms you trust, and don't send any work until you're sure the payment is secure.
Remember, it's always better to be safe than sorry. We all want to land that next big project, but it’s important to protect ourselves in the process. Stay smart, stay safe, and keep doing the amazing work you do! ;)

If you’ve had any experiences like this or have more tips to share, feel free to drop them below.

There are also some clients who assign tasks with unrealistic payment amounts and then scam you at the end. For example, a guy was saying on Reddit that he was asked to copy 12,000 words from several images and add them to a PDF for $4000 by a client on Telegram. That is a great deal, so they agreed.

They did the work, albeit using some tools to help, but when it came to pay, the scammer told them to pay a fee to access their funds or have the finds sent to them. Something of the sort. They were told it was not a good idea, but they sent some money and never heard from the scammer again.

I also mentioned previously some "clients" asking for a very specific "test" to get the job. One asked me to complete a test that was a 500-word "test" on "what would be the negative effects of Marxism on today's society". Really? That is the test? Nope, that is someone looking to get you to do their job for them.

There are also some clients who assign tasks with unrealistic payment amounts and then scam you at the end. For example, a guy was saying on Reddit that he was asked to copy 12,000 words from several images and add them to a PDF for $4000 by a client on Telegram. That is a great deal, so they agreed.

They did the work, albeit using some tools to help, but when it came to pay, the scammer told them to pay a fee to access their funds or have the finds sent to them. Something of the sort. They were told it was not a good idea, but they sent some money and never heard from the scammer again.

I also mentioned previously some "clients" asking for a very specific "test" to get the job. One asked me to complete a test that was a 500-word "test" on "what would be the negative effects of Marxism on today's society". Really? That is the test? Nope, that is someone looking to get you to do their job for them.
It's really a sad reality that many freelancers have to face. People are trying to make their life better by doing jobs and become more independent. But these fake clients just ruin it for everybody.

Things ate tough enough for new freelancers who are just looking for their first projects or their first significant client. Then they meet these scammers without knowing how to protect themselves and fall for their schemes.

Sometimes I feel like experienced freelancers have the responsibility of educating new ones so they do not keep falling into these traps. Traps that are unfortunately becoming more sophisticated by the day. I hope every new freelancer sees this thread and learns how to protect themselves and what people and situations to avoid.

Things ate tough enough for new freelancers who are just looking for their first projects or their first significant client. Then they meet these scammers without knowing how to protect themselves and fall for their schemes.

Sometimes I feel like experienced freelancers have the responsibility of educating new ones so they do not keep falling into these traps. Traps that are unfortunately becoming more sophisticated by the day. I hope every new freelancer sees this thread and learns how to protect themselves and what people and situations to avoid.
Definitely, I agree. It is our duty to inform new freelancers and learn them how they can protect themselves.

Back