Marketplace for Freelancers & Businesses

Does age of the owner matter for a forum's success?

Cpvr

Novice Trader
Staff member
Community Moderator
Credits
Do you think the age of the owner of a forum matter for the forum’s success or not really?

Can a younger forum owner still succeed with less experience?

I was once active in a forum that bubbled with activities. When I learnt the age of the owner I was surprised. He was a teenager! But you couldn’t have guessed because he is so good at what he does.
Age does not matter in the success of a forum, if you start gaining experience early. Young forum owners might also have older and experienced ones assisting them.

I started on forums using InvisionFree and ZetaBoards when I was 12 years old. I'm now almost 33, so that's nearly 21 years ago. During that time, I've seen plenty of successful communities managed by teens. So no I don't believe age matters.

Experience, knowledge, management and leadership qualities of a forum owner is what's going to make a forum successful. A forum owner might be 50 years old but still an idiot who doesn't know how to run the community and it's going to crash.

I think experience helps more than anything. A 13 year old who makes their first forum will probably mess up, but they can use this as a learning opportunity. Over time, they can get a feel for how to run a forum and eventually have a successful forum at a different age.

I started on forums using InvisionFree and ZetaBoards when I was 12 years old. I'm now almost 33, so that's nearly 21 years ago. During that time, I've seen plenty of successful communities managed by teens. So no I don't believe age matters.
I also started when I was young, but Smf was the first forum software that I used. I was about 15 or 16 when I started my first forum. I used SMF for a while before I made the switch to vBulletin.

I also started when I was young, but Smf was the first forum software that I used. I was about 15 or 16 when I started my first forum. I used SMF for a while before I made the switch to vBulletin.
Knowledge can be acquired at any age as long as the person is willing to learn. It's why I believe that's the key to being successful in whatever you're doing irrespective of your age.

I don't believe age matters at all when it comes to being the owner of a forum. I have been on forums now for over 20 years and have seen forum owners come and go and even some succeed.

If you have a plan, want to succeed and have a passion for what you create, age should not matter.

Back