Marketplace for Freelancers & Businesses

Effective strategies you have found help combat writer's block

Shortie

Apprentice
Credits
As writers, one of the biggest drawbacks that we tend to hit quite often is writer's block. We could go weeks, sometimes even months with ideas on what to write about and then suddenly, writer's block hits.

As a writer and as someone who has hit writer's block in the past, what strategies have you found to help you combat writer's block?

The main thing that helps me when I'm dealing with writer's block is writing down my ideas, even if I can't fully develop them. That way, when I overcome my writer's block, I can go back to my notes and write them out.

The main thing that helps me when I'm dealing with writer's block is writing down my ideas, even if I can't fully develop them. That way, when I overcome my writer's block, I can go back to my notes and write them out.
This is one thing that I do a lot now, I found when writer's block hits it could last days sometimes so writing down any ideas I get, I can always go back to them when I need to and that has helped keep me on track.

I also find heading out for a walk can sometimes spring some ideas too.

I give it time and don’t stress it too much. I engage in other activities that can take my mind away completely from writing. By the time I come back to it the ideas would be overflowing.

To combat writer's block, what I found out is taking breaks, changing environments, and also engaging in freewriting. This can help in stimulating ideas.
Your suggestions are great! I'd also like to add that exploring different perspectives can help in recognising your passion. I tried this and it worked for me.

Your suggestions are great! I'd also like to add that exploring different perspectives can help in recognising your passion. I tried this and it worked for me.
If you’re exploring different perspectives, it can indeed help to rereignite passion and overcome the writer's block. Sometimes, I take a step back and look at a topic from a fresh angle to get new ideas.

Well, never in my life I have experienced any kind of writer's block. I never have had issue on what to write as I always had a lot of topics in my mind.

Well, never in my life I have experienced any kind of writer's block. I never have had issue on what to write as I always had a lot of topics in my mind.
That's remarkable! It feels like you are very much full of ideas in your mind. What would you advise people who actually have the problem of writer’s block? Are there certain things that could be thought of in terms of generating continuous stream of ideas?

Back