Marketplace for Freelancers & Businesses

Freelancing has become so competitive these days.

Kennysplash

Apprentice
Credits
If you compare today to about 8 years ago, you will see that there is a huge difference in the freelance market. There were more jobs and money making opportunities. But now the opposite is the case, and I will say it is largely due to a high number of individuals entering the freelancing market.

Why do you think there is so much competition these days?

I remember when I first started freelancing, I was able to get jobs quite easily and would always have a steady stream of work coming in. As much as I do still have some clients that have stuck with me, the work I used to get was a lot more compared to what it is now.

I feel after the COVID-19 pandemic and also the rising inflation and cost of living, more people are looking at ways to make extra money or even a living and freelancing seems to be the most popular way for many.

Yeah, I agreed with that! The increase in freelance popularity has actually caused an increase in competition. To stand out as a freelancer, I focus on specializing in a niche and strive so hard to deliver exceptional quality. I also make sure to build very strong client relationships too.

If you compare today to about 8 years ago, you will see that there is a huge difference in the freelance market. There were more jobs and money making opportunities. But now the opposite is the case, and I will say it is largely due to a high number of individuals entering the freelancing market.

Why do you think there is so much competition these days?
It’s largely because the internet has expanded, and many people have turned to freelancing, especially after possibly losing their traditional jobs due to COVID-19.

The freelance market has always been significant, but it grew even more as people stayed home during the pandemic.

Additionally, the rise of freelancing marketplaces has also contributed to the increase in freelancers. By providing a platform for people to find new gigs, these marketplaces create new opportunities for freelancers.

It feels like almost everything in life has become a competition. For anyone good at something, there's someone better at it.

I was just talking to a buddy about this the other day. We used to get steady work a few years ago, but it's much harder now. We would bid on Upwork (then called Odesk) and later People Per Hour, and we would get work easily. Now, it's all terrible. The job descriptions are too vague (meaning you risk scope creep and inadequate budgets if you bid for these jobs) and you are more likely to find a scammer than a legitimate client.

It is all so frustrating now.

About why I think this is the case, I think the pandemic opened up this world to more people and with the world economy how it is now, many more people are freelancing as a side job. Also, more people are ditching traditional employment (sitting in a cubicle for 8 hours) and trying their hand at freelancing.

A personal anecdote, some of my friends who are not in the freelancing world are surprised that I work 8 hours a day like I would at any other job. The only difference is the location and that I get to work from home instead of an office.

I was just talking to a buddy about this the other day. We used to get steady work a few years ago, but it's much harder now. We would bid on Upwork (then called Odesk) and later People Per Hour, and we would get work easily. Now, it's all terrible. The job descriptions are too vague (meaning you risk scope creep and inadequate budgets if you bid for these jobs) and you are more likely to find a scammer than a legitimate client.

It is all so frustrating now.

About why I think this is the case, I think the pandemic opened up this world to more people and with the world economy how it is now, many more people are freelancing as a side job. Also, more people are ditching traditional employment (sitting in a cubicle for 8 hours) and trying their hand at freelancing.

A personal anecdote, some of my friends who are not in the freelancing world are surprised that I work 8 hours a day like I would at any other job. The only difference is the location and that I get to work from home instead of an office.
Gone are the days of easy wins on the freelancing platforms like Upwork and People Per Hour. To thrive in freelancing now, it’s very neccesary to refine your skills and diversify platforms. I make sure to build personal networks and create a strong online presence, and this has helped me mitigate the risks and attract legitimate clients as well.

Back