Marketplace for Freelancers & Businesses

Freelancing: Primary Income Source or Just a Side Hustle?

Cedric

Agora Founder
Staff member
Administration
Credits
1719837224070.pngIs freelancing a viable primary income
source, or should it just be a side hustle?

Some folks swear by freelancing full-time, saying it gives them freedom, flexibility, and the chance to make serious money without the 9-to-5 grind. They argue that with the right skills and clients, you can totally replace a traditional job and even surpass your previous salary. Plus, you get to be your own boss and work from anywhere. Sounds like a dream, right?

But then, there are those who think freelancing is too unstable to rely on as a main income. They say the feast-or-famine cycle, lack of benefits, and constant hustle to find new clients make it more suited as a side gig to supplement a steady job. They argue that having a traditional job provides more security, health insurance, and a predictable paycheck.

Let's not forget freelancers often have to compete with other freelancers offering similar or the same services for cheaper money. It's not fair at all and I can only recommend you need to know what you're worth. It's stressful but at the same time, for many of us, being a freelancer is what we do, and what we love.

I’m curious where you all stand on this. Have you tried freelancing full-time? Did it work out, or was it a nightmare? Or do you prefer keeping it as a side hustle while holding onto a traditional job for security?

Let’s hear your experiences, opinions, and any tips you’ve got for those considering making the leap to full-time freelancing or balancing both worlds. This should be an interesting discussion!

Last edited:
I started out doing freelancing work as a part-time thing to make a little extra money but things changed and I moved to freelancing full-time to make a solid income.

I am happy to say that I have been able to make a solid income over the last year and a half or just over that I have been freelancing full-time but it was slow at first whilst I gained clients who then became regular clients.

One tip I would say for anyone making the leap to freelancing is to not expect to make a full-time income from the start, it could take weeks or even months, maybe longer before you see that kind of income. Always have a backup in the beginning.

I'm just now trying to get into freelancing where I earn income. I think it'll just be a side hustle since I already have an IRL job and I don't expect to get many clients with my limited knowledge.

I was still in college when I started earning as a freelance writer. By the time I completed my university education, I was already earning full time income as a freelancer. Freelancer was never a side hustle for me, I have always worked as a full time freelancer.

I wouldn't say that freelancing is my primary source of income, at least for now. I haven't gotten to that stage yet.

I wouldn't say that freelancing is my primary source of income, at least for now. I haven't gotten to that stage yet.

Based on my experience, freelancing takes a lot of time to build up, and it's very great that you're starting. I'll advise you to keep working on your skills and finding new clients as well.

I have been involved in the online freelancing industry for more than ten years, starting as a blogger on my websites. When I first began, I never imagined that I could earn a living from blogging. My initial intention was simply to express my thoughts and feelings as a way to cope with my declining mental health. However, I was pleasantly surprised to find that I could generate income from my blogs, particularly the one focused on travel. This success motivated me to explore other opportunities within the industry, and I eventually transitioned into content writing. This shift allowed me to secure writing tasks both locally and internationally.

Despite encountering periods of job instability, I persevered and remained committed to online freelancing. While my current online job may be unstable, it continues to serve as my primary source of income. Due to my health condition, I am unable to pursue a traditional office job, making online freelancing essential for my livelihood. Though it can become boring or mundane at times, I remain thankful for the opportunity to work as an online freelancer.

Despite my achievements in this field, my parents have continued to doubt my ability to earn money online. Consequently, I have stopped trying to prove myself to them.

I don't think that freelancing is robust enough to be a main income source. There are times that gigs would completely dry up. And sometimes, payment delays. It is a side hustle at best. Even when you are raking in much money freelancing, I won't advise that it should be viewed as a main income. It is no guarantee that one would always have clients frequently. I do freelancing as a side hustle.

Freelancing is my primary source of income even though I have been diversifying recently. Just reading the signs of the times tells you that freelancing might become a less viable source of income shortly. If you do not take steps to diversifuy, you might drown.

I actually know some people who are working as freelancers as a full time job. It depends on what someone is doing actually because when you have a good portfolio which can easily fetch you money as a freelancer, it's easy to make it a full time job.

My freelance job is a side job, I still don't earn enough to be able to live from it full time, if I lived in another country maybe I could, but the cost of living in my country is too high to still live completely from my freelance job, maybe in the future I will be able to get it or I will move to a country where I can work remotely and my freelance job covers all the costs.

Back