Marketplace for Freelancers & Businesses

How do you determine what the appropriate length of an article should be?

Ravenfreak

Apprentice
Credits
You want to be able to write captivating articles that gets your readers wanting more. However, you also don't want to drag on an article with paragraphs that don't flow well with the article you're writing. How do you find that perfect balance of writing an article that is long enough but isn't too long that you may lose potential readers? What about articles that get straight to the point but are too short? What should a writer do in this predicament? I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on this.

I have been writing articles consistently myself for some years now and I have found that the sweet spot for articles is anything between 500 words and 1000 words. I feel with this amount you are giving yourself some leeway for all kinds of articles without feeling as though you have to go on and on and add pointless content to your article just to fit in a certain amount of words.

Most articles are usually between one thousand to two thousand words, but I believe the best way to determine how long or short your article should be is usually based on your target audience. Now you are asked to write an article, the first you should do is do research on who your target audience is and the level of their attention span. If your target audience is young adults, it would be best to have an average-length article.

Depends on the subject, I find if I am writing a review you need to coverall the needs to know and even add some other information I tend to use bullets for a cleaner article. But if I am writing about a certain subject like training or comparing some broad items I can get to 500-1000 fairly quick so I tend to stick to 500 or so. This way a casual user doesn't just see a wall of text.

Based on my opinion, determining the ideal article length requires thoughtful consideration. You need to involve the balance of purpose, audience, and content complexity. Those are simply the determinant.

Back