Marketplace for Freelancers & Businesses

How do you prevent burnout as a freelancer?

ken_gitahi

Apprentice
Content Writer
Credits
Many freelancers are caught in a cycle of feast or famine, juggling multiple clients and wearing all the hats in their business. It's exhilarating, but it can be tiring and lead to burnout.

Everyone I talk to has been feeling the heat lately, and I'm curious:
  • What strategies do you use to prevent burnout?
  • Do you have a non-negotiable self-care routine?
  • How do you set boundaries with clients?
  • Any productivity hacks that help you work smarter, not harder?
Let's share our experiences and build a toolbox of burnout prevention techniques. After all, a burnt-out freelancer is good for no one – not us, not our clients, and certainly not our bank accounts!

What's your go-to method for staying sane in the freelance hustle?

Burnout as a freelancer is something that happens more times than most tend to admit, I know I have hit burnout many times and it has never been easy to deal with at all.

On the times when I have hit burnout, I have found that going off and spending time doing other things such as playing games, going out for walks or even just watching my favourite TV show helps a lot.

I have been grappling with burnout lately, which seems to rear its head occasionally. The repetitive nature of my daily tasks and the constant pressure of meeting deadlines have become quite taxing. The strain is both mental and physical, taking a toll on my overall health and well-being. Unfortunately, I find it challenging to set boundaries with my clients and negotiate flexible deadlines, as I am the only person handling these tasks. My client has not engaged any additional freelancers, so my responsibility falls exclusively on me.

To counteract the effects of burnout, I have adopted a few techniques. When I feel the pressure building, I make it a point to take short breaks. I find that stepping away from my workstation, taking a few deep breaths of fresh air, and doing quick stretches help relieve the tension. If time allows, I am fortunate to live close to the beach and take the opportunity to take a brief 15-minute break by the sea. The relaxing sound of the waves and the peaceful surroundings provide much-needed tranquility. When a beach visit is impossible, I spend quality time with my dogs, indulge in a feel-good movie, or listen to some of my favorite music. These activities help to lift my mood and offer some respite from work-related stress.

Burnout for freelander is a real thing. I think the key is to actually set boundaries and make a schedule. What's most important is to stick to your schedule and prioritise self care.

How do you prevent burn out as a freelance? Don't take too much jobs that you can easily work on without killing yourself. Yes, to earn more money is tempting but don't use as a result of greed and mess up yourself.

What I do is try to have just the right amount of job to be able to finish it on time, and from time to time do a week of technological detox which helps me to disconnect almost completely from all the freelance work and electronic screens that in the long term can have negative side effects if you don't take a break from them.

I schedule my time and include resting times to prevent burnout as a freelancer. What really makes freelancers experience burnouts is because they always accumulate tasks and try to rush it when it is close to dateline day. I start every gig the moment I accept it. I can do every gig at my own pace and also rest when I need to. That would help me to prevent burnout pursuing my freelancing gigs.

Best way to prevent burnout as a freelancer is to take regular breaks from your duties, make time for yourself, and enjoy what you do! Burn outs aren’t great as they increase stress load, prevent you from working, and have negative effects on your health.

Best way to prevent burnout as a freelancer is to take regular breaks from your duties, make time for yourself, and enjoy what you do! Burn outs aren’t great as they increase stress load, prevent you from working, and have negative effects on your health.
I take regular breaks, and I also prioritise self-care. I make sure to find joy in my work, and it's been very helpful in preventing burnout as a freelancer. Additionally, it is very essential to set realistic goals and learn to say no to excessive workload.

Back