Marketplace for Freelancers & Businesses

How do you stay motivated when writing is your full time job?

Shortie

Apprentice
Credits
For most of us, writing is more than likely a full-time job. Despite the fact we enjoy our job and the work we do, there are always times when you can feel burned out and staying motivated can be a problem. Luckily, most of us find ways to help us stay motivated.

As a writer yourself who does this full-time, how do you keep yourself motivated? Are there any tips you could give to help others?

It can really burn you out, sitting down at a spot for hours typing away. I take a break and go for a walk sometimes. It also help when I take a break and clear my head with some games and movies.

Last edited:
Well, writing is my full time job but I don't get writing assignments to work every day, which means I don't have a writing job every day. In a day like this I will be working on blogs or other projects which helps me to remain busy. When I am busy with work, I always feel motivated.

Writing is not my job, but I have tried writing articles in the past. It is quite a nice job, but of course you can burn out quite quickly if you write nonstop. It is easier when you have a boss because you can write how you want. It is a little bit more difficult to stay motivated if you write for a company

I stay motivated with my writing job by breaking down my tasks into smaller chunks and I also make sure to establish a routine in order to balancing work and breaks.

Because of my chronic illness, which prevents me from working outside the home, I focus primarily on what I do as a writer. My writing profession started in 2008, and while it is my love, I occasionally experience demotivation and creativity blocks. To remedy this, I created a dedicated space in my small apartment. The arrangement has a beautiful view and sufficient airflow, which helps me stay motivated while writing. To keep focus, I intentionally eliminate potential distractions, such as TV and radio. I also adjust my routine regularly, including short breaks. These pauses help boost my overall productivity and enable me to return to work with a fresh perspective. Balancing work and personal life is essential for avoiding burnout and maintaining a long-term creative practice.

Because of my chronic illness, which prevents me from working outside the home, I focus primarily on what I do as a writer. My writing profession started in 2008, and while it is my love, I occasionally experience demotivation and creativity blocks. To remedy this, I created a dedicated space in my small apartment. The arrangement has a beautiful view and sufficient airflow, which helps me stay motivated while writing. To keep focus, I intentionally eliminate potential distractions, such as TV and radio. I also adjust my routine regularly, including short breaks. These pauses help boost my overall productivity and enable me to return to work with a fresh perspective. Balancing work and personal life is essential for avoiding burnout and maintaining a long-term creative practice.

What I'd add is that it's neccesary to prioritise the importance of self-care. As someone with a chronic illness, your well-being is of paramount importance.

I have a sibling who is into writing and from what I have seen so far, writing can be very challenging. It takes a lot of effort to be consistent. There was a time she thought about taking a break but I think one of the few things that motivates her to keep writing are her readers. Most times she gets good reviews from readers asking her when the next chapter would be coming and some compliments as well.

Writing can really be a task that can stress your head. You have to engage your brains and your hands at the same time. It can be really exhausting. It even gets worse when you are writing on a complex niche, you can even feel like giving up, especially when the fountain of words and ideas is not flowing. One thing that writers have to do is to not make writing a burden to themselves. Start your writing tasks much earlier before you need to use it or turn it in so that you can take them in bits. Rest when ideas dry up and most importantly, have a good and sound sleep daily to keep your brain refreshed all the time.

I don't work full time as a writer but I do work many hours as a writer so to stay motivated I try not to saturate myself with a lot of work, I try to dedicate time to myself and the activities I like, and from time to time give myself a week of vacation from the writer's job also doing a little technological detox.

I don't work full time as a writer but I do work many hours as a writer so to stay motivated I try not to saturate myself with a lot of work, I try to dedicate time to myself and the activities I like, and from time to time give myself a week of vacation from the writer's job also doing a little technological detox.
That's indeed a very great approach. Maintaining a healthy work-life balance is verty essential to me. I make sure to look for the activities that help me recharge and spark creativity. That's how I stay motivated.

Back