Marketplace for Freelancers & Businesses

How long do you store client files?

Cedric

Agora Founder
Staff member
Administration
Credits
As a freelancer or business owner, how long do you store files you've developed for a client? Do you have a standard practice for this, or does it vary by project? What factors influence your decision on how long to keep these files?

Generally, you are not expected to store client files unless your contract explicitly requires you to do so. This highlights the importance of having a detailed contract that outlines file storage responsibilities, data retention policies, and other critical aspects of your working relationship. For guidance on creating a comprehensive contract, check out this article on How to Write a Web Design Contract.

Here are some points to consider:
  • Contract Requirements: Do your contracts specify a retention period for client files?
  • Client Preferences: Have clients ever requested you to store files for an extended period? How do you handle such requests?
  • Data Management: What is your process for organizing, backing up, and eventually deleting client files?
  • Legal Implications: Are there any legal requirements or industry standards you follow for data retention?
  • Worst Case Scenario: Have you ever had a client ask for files after a year when you did not store the files?
Looking forward to your thoughts.

In the past, I used to work with several clients, and I have kept the files I created for them. These files are stored in a passport where I keep all my work-related documents. From time to time, I revisit the written content I developed for these clients to evaluate the progression of my writing skills over the years.

Fast forward to the present, I still maintain files for my current client, with whom I have been collaborating for nearly 5 years. Even the files I completed a few years ago are still in my possession, as they do not occupy much space. I consider the possibility of deleting them in the future if they lose their relevance.

Interestingly, my client rarely requests the files again after a year or so. Instead, he instantly uploads the content or saves it directly to his computer. This method aligns with my commitment to ensuring efficient and organized file management for the benefit of both parties involved.

For me, I typically store client files for at least 6-12 months after I have completed the project. I also put the agreement between me and the client into consideration as well.

Great question. I haven't thought about this before.

I'm not doing any freelancing now, but I've worked on a few projects before and have always just stored the files indefinitely. It hasn't come up, but I've always just kept the files just in case.

If I start doing this again, then it seems like a great idea to have this discussion with the client and have it written out.
In the past, I used to work with several clients, and I have kept the files I created for them. These files are stored in a passport where I keep all my work-related documents. From time to time, I revisit the written content I developed for these clients to evaluate the progression of my writing skills over the years.

This is another reason I like keeping things stored. I go back from time to time to see what I've done and how I've progressed. It can provide valuable insights.

I have handled a lot of projects for various clients before, and not once has the contract required I keep their file. I have very limited storage space for my work, so I always let them know I am not responsible for keeping their file after submission. The highest I do is to keep the file for a month or ninety days if the files are not that long.

I tend to deal with a lot of clients and it can be a little too much to keep all files for a long period. I have found that keeping them for around 6 months to a year has been the best option and haven't run into any issues keeping them for that time.

I generally don't delete the files I develop for clients. They don't take any significant space on my laptop. I just create a folder with the name of the client and leave the files there for as long as. I have actually had a client ask after three years if I still had her work. She was glad I could pull it up for her. I still have works I had done since 2013 on my system. I have done thousands of work since then and the total size of my workplace folder is just 22MB. No need to delete it.

I don't and have never deleted any of my clients works. I still have access to jobs I did for my clients since way back in 2011 on Seoclerks. All of them are the sites where I had them delivered and are also on file where I saved them.

I ensure to store client files for 2-3 years, and I make sure to consider the project's complexity as well. Another thing to look into is the potential future collaborations. But before you do this, it's very essential to have a clear data policy and communicate it to clients accordingly. Sometimes, I may even decide to store client files indefinitely, unless the clients request the deletion or we agree on a specific timeline. However, the most important thing is to prioritise data security and to also ensure that your files are stored securely, even after project completion.

I have just looked, and I have client files from 2010 in my Google Drive and Dropbox folders! So, I would say the answer is indefinite.

On a serious note, I try to keep client files for about 12 months after the project ends or after I stop providing support as per the contract. However, all my web development files are already on GitHub, so I do not have to think about those.

I have just looked, and I have client files from 2010 in my Google Drive and Dropbox folders! So, I would say the answer is indefinite.

On a serious note, I try to keep client files for about 12 months after the project ends or after I stop providing support as per the contract. However, all my web development files are already on GitHub, so I do not have to think about those.
When we work on projects, it's very crucial to keep the files safe. I also keep projects for more than a year after I finish, then I put them in a special place or even throw them away.

Back