Marketplace for Freelancers & Businesses

How long have you been a freelancer?

Cpvr

Novice Trader
Staff member
Community Moderator
Credits
How long have you been a freelancer? What originally got you started as a freelancer? Are you working as a freelancer full-time or part-time?

I have been a freelancer now for 12 years, taking a small break between 2017 - 2022 to take on another venture before coming back to freelancing in October of 2022 and working full-time as a freelancer since then.

It's been a journey over the last year and a half but I have enjoyed my work.

I started my journey as an online freelancer in 2008. I ventured into the field of blogging on my personal websites. My travel-related website brought in a decent income. However, unfortunate personal circumstances led to the oversight of renewing my websites. Consequently, I transitioned to pursuing opportunities as a content writer. Initially, I acquired a client from within my country and dedicated over a year to working with her. Over time, I explored different freelancing platforms and successfully secured some foreign clients. Despite occasional monotony, I persist as a full-time online freelancer due to my inability to work outside the home because of a chronic condition.

I've been freelancing for over 5 years now, and it's been a good journey for me. In the process, I've learned so much about myself, my skills, and the industry that i'm in. I've also have my fair share of ups and downs too.

I'm not freelancing now, but I did for a bit, and it was part-time.

I got into it after working with others on a project which led to some gigs.

I've been freelancing for about 2 years. I won’t say I'm there yet because I'm still learning the ropes. It's so amazing how much one can grow and adapt in such a short time. To be honest, I'm so excited to see what the future holds. In freelancing, I'm still discovering new things each day because experience is key. One important thing is to ensure that you’re open to new opportunities and keep learning as well.

I've been a freelancer since 2019, at first, I started doing small jobs in all the places that offered some money, no matter how little, while I was learning I decided to dedicate myself almost exclusively to writing or moderation services, although I plan to continue evolving.

I entered freelance writing about 3 years ago. I started with specializing on writing book reviews. And then, I moved into mainstream writing few months after. It has really been an incredible journey as a freelancer. Got scammed, built valuable relationships, learned a lot and I am still here 3 years later still freelancing. I have really enjoyed my career path as a freelancer.

I started during the Covid lockdown, 2020. I was home and there was burying much to do. So I surfed the internet for possible job opportunities, I became a freelance from that day.

I’ve been a freelancer since the start of my teenage years. Of course now I’m older my English skill set is a lot better, which increases my employability as a freelancer due to the quality of my writing. As time goes on, my experience and portfolio will grow

I have been freelancing for over a decade now, and trust me when I said that it has been more of a blessing than a curse. I have been able to achieve much more through freelancing than getting involved in any other thing.

I have been freelancing for over a decade now, and trust me when I said that it has been more of a blessing than a curse. I have been able to achieve much more through freelancing than getting involved in any other thing.
That's so amazing. It shows that your experience and perseverance have clearly paid off. Freelancing can definitely be a liberating and rewarding path if it is done rightly.

I started freelancing around 2010 in uni for some beer money. After graduating, I found that the available jobs were paying too little, so I keep at it. I have since built a successful career as a freelancer, hopping between developing WordPress and Laravel websites for clients and handling their copywriting needs.

I started freelancing around 2010 in uni for some beer money. After graduating, I found that the available jobs were paying too little, so I keep at it. I have since built a successful career as a freelancer, hopping between developing WordPress and Laravel websites for clients and handling their copywriting needs.
Wow, that's very impressive! I'm so inspired by your journey. From freelancing for beer money to building a successful career is a significant achievement. I’m also planning to transition from making my freelance work a business. What are the major challenges you faced as a big-time freelancer?

Some of the most common challenges for me have been late payments, vague project scopes (clients not putting what they need in clear enough terms), and scope creep top the list. Additional ones I can think of include unrealistic deadlines, inconsistent communication, and the constant hustle to find new clients. These small but frequent irritations have sometimes turned my career into a juggling act of patience and persistence.

However, you have to hang in there and earn as you go. You can learn to notice these things more easily as you become more immersed in this world.

Some of the most common challenges for me have been late payments, vague project scopes (clients not putting what they need in clear enough terms), and scope creep top the list. Additional ones I can think of include unrealistic deadlines, inconsistent communication, and the constant hustle to find new clients. These small but frequent irritations have sometimes turned my career into a juggling act of patience and persistence.

However, you have to hang in there and earn as you go. You can learn to notice these things more easily as you become more immersed in this world.
Thanks for sharing; they are great tips. As a freelancer, I've also faced challenges like late payments and unrealistic deadlines as well. It's very delicate to balance patience, persistence, and dedication in the freelance business as it'll help you sail through in your freelance work.

Back