Marketplace for Freelancers & Businesses

How long should a forum post be?

Nomad

Novice Trader
Credits
I have seen forums where they prefer long posts (around 100 words), I have also see forums where all you need to write is one sentence. As a forum owner, how long do you think a forum post should be. As far as I am concerned, I feel that a forum post should be around 50 words, which sill justify what you are trying to say.

The value of a post lies in its message, On my forums, contributions must be at least two sentences long to contribute to a member's content count. Members can advance through various groups depending on their number of posts. However, one-word responses are considered a means to artificially boost post counts to unlock access to exclusive groups, such as the gallery or downloads area. Moreover, seasoned members who achieve 1000 posts are granted entry to a private forum and areas with premium content in both the gallery and downloads.

The length of a forum post depends on the topic of the forum thread. If it’s a debate topic, then a post should be longer. However, if it’s a chit-chat topic, then a forum post doesn't need to be long at all.

It really boils down to the topic being discussed.

I feel if you make a word requirement for posts on a forum too high, you run the risk of members and staff making posts that are often repetitive or even have pointless content.

I have always found around 40 - 50 words is more than enough, if members and staff members post more than that, great, but I feel having it set at that number allows good quality posts without writing something pointless to hit the word count.

Back