Marketplace for Freelancers & Businesses

How many staff do you start out with?

Heatman

Apprentice
Credits
Forum or website management isn't a one man job. This is why having staff members to work together with is very important. You can't be able to do the job alone.

So, when you're starting out your new community, how many staff members is ideal for you to kick things off?

When I start a new forum, I generally start off with two staff members. As the forum grows, I’ll start bringing on more staff members.

No matter the size of the forum when you started, if it doesn't have much activities, there's no need having too many staffs. Starting with one staff would seem right, as things progesses, you can add more to your ranks.

It really depends on the niche of the forum. If you're opening up a webmaster or promotional forum, you'll need a few staff members when you first open the forum especially if you're offering services. As for any other niche, I feel like you need maybe at least one other staff member when you're first starting out, but in most cases I don't hire anyone else until my forum grows.

It really depends on the niche of the forum. If you're opening up a webmaster or promotional forum, you'll need a few staff members when you first open the forum especially if you're offering services. As for any other niche, I feel like you need maybe at least one other staff member when you're first starting out, but in most cases I don't hire anyone else until my forum grows.
This is true. With a webmaster or promotional forum, it needs a lot of work because there are so many aspects to work on which one person can't oversee it all.

When I start a new forum, I generally start off with two staff members. As the forum grows, I’ll start bringing on more staff members.

Starting off with one or two staff members is good. It gives you an opportunity to learn more about the community and what you can improve upon as time goes on. Going with more than two staff members can become a burden when things don't get as planned.

Starting off with one or two staff members is good. It gives you an opportunity to learn more about the community and what you can improve upon as time goes on. Going with more than two staff members can become a burden when things don't get as planned.
It's an unnecessary expand when they wouldn't have much to do on the platform since it's still a new one. If you're paying them, it's an unnecessary expenses that should have been avoided.

When I start a new forum, I tend to start with myself and possibly another staff member and leave it at that until I feel I need more staff.

I find that I can go a while before needing more staff on the forum depending on how quickly the forum takes off with activity.

If I remember correctly, I started with myself and one other staff member, but I've been flying solo for years and I feel like I don't necessarily need any other staff members since I know how to do all that is required for my board's niche and I remain active.

There are some forums that start off with a bang and start having activity from launch. Such a forum should start with two moderators and the admin. But a forum that pretty much starts slowly can just have the admin run things at the initial stage. Take for instance, a site that just starts with 30 posts or less daily. There is no need for a staff at that level. The admin can comfortably screen that number of posts. Some forums on the other hand already have 20 sign ups on launch. Such a forum should have two staff members to start with.

Back