Marketplace for Freelancers & Businesses

Internet forums are disappearing because now it's all Reddit and Discord. And that's worrying.

Cpvr

Novice Trader
Staff member
Community Moderator
Credits
There was a time when discussion forums were the heart of online social networks. Users flocked to forums that matched their interests, creating tight-knit communities where they could connect and engage in meaningful conversations.

However, this dynamic is shifting. The rise of social networks has triggered a significant migration away from traditional forums. Suddenly, participating in a forum became less appealing compared to the allure of Facebook groups with quirky names. If it wasn’t Facebook groups, it was Reddit. And if not Reddit, then Discord.

Everything is a subreddit

The Xataka team members are avid Reddit fans. Reddit is a fantastic platform that enables chatting, discovering, learning, and having fun, all in one place. Yet, it poses a threat to the existence of traditional discussion forums.

The decline of discussion forums is a known issue. A Hacker News user named 'hourago' poignantly commented on this phenomenon a year ago:

What used to be blogs and forums is now Reddit.
Tens of thousands (hundreds of thousands?) of communities that had their own wiki, blog, forum, ... are now reduced to being a Subreddit.

The Internet has become fragile. A service goes down and everyone suffers. If the top 10 services went down most people would think there was no Internet at all.

Email is the last service standing that is much more open than the rest. But the rise of WhatsApp and its equivalents is calling this into question. One day all our communication will depend on a monopoly."

This insightful comment sparked a fascinating debate. Many participants agreed that discussion forums are now seen as outdated and unfashionable.

Instead, we have subreddits, which offer many of the benefits of forums but with a significant downside: they are controlled by a single company that has just gone public and has not always treated its users well. The same applies to Facebook groups and other platforms that have taken over the conversation space. Twitter (now X) allows for interaction but focuses on following people or media, not specific topics or interests.

Discord is the final nail in the coffin:

While Reddit and Facebook groups initiated the decline of forums, Discord is finishing the job. For instance, in 2021, the Eurogamer forum closed, citing changes in communication preferences and the declining popularity of traditional forums.

As Kotaku explained, Discord is very different from a discussion forum. It excels in facilitating real-time conversations and managing multiple chat rooms and voice communications. However, forums were designed for more thoughtful and lasting interactions. Users could take their time to craft responses, creating a sense of permanence. This is something another Reddit user, EmSa1998, highlighted:

One of the benefits of forums is better preservation of 'historical' conversations: unlike subreddits or Discord servers, forums were well divided into sections that were often further divided into subsections. This allowed the most important conversations to stay 'alive' and evolve over years, not disappear like Reddit messages after a few days or the conversation in a big chat that usually lasts hours or minutes before disappearing."

Forums also facilitated easy searching and indexing of topics, a feature that Discord struggles with. Discord's creators recognized this shortcoming and introduced Forum Channels to mimic traditional forums more closely.

However, the problem persists. Conversations on platforms like Discord and Facebook groups are not indexed by Google, effectively locking users in. In contrast, traditional forums are indexed by search engines, making information readily accessible. Reddit respects this aspect, which is why many people add "reddit" to their Google searches to focus results on that platform. The same goes for Stack Exchange, an evolution of the original discussion forums.

The knowledge bases built by diverse communities on these platforms have been invaluable, especially for developers and programmers. The emergence of ChatGPT has further influenced these dynamics, with platforms like Stack Overflow reaching agreements to adapt to new realities.

The concerning trend is that traditional discussion forums are dying, and while alternatives exist, they are different and not necessarily better.

Source: https://www.xataka.com/servicios/fo...que-ahora-todo-reddit-discord-eso-preocupante

What are your thoughts on this? I believe that forums still have a place in today’s internet and they’ll always have a home. I don’t see them going anywhere, but Reddit and Discord both have surely put a dent in some industries.

I've been on forums for over two decades. The decline started in 2013 for all I remember. But forums will always hold a special place in my heart. It's how I prefer to communicate, and I know many people still share this opinion. Although it's more the older generation who grew up with forums, when Facebook and others didn't exist. We're used to it and we'll always prefer it. Long live forums!

While I don't disagree with this sentiment, I think forums will always have loyal followers who prefer a "community" over a vastly, large network where topics, comments, and users get buried. There's a subreddit/channel/group for about any topic you can imagine, there will be those who want a "toned" down version of a social network or chat service. As mentioned in the OP, forums can often be more organized and you can also style them and organize them in whatever ways you deem convenient for your user base.

I use Reddit as a means of browsing and nothing more, but when it comes to engaging, I much prefer the layout and "community" of forums. Discord I use for chit-chat and connections, valuable conversations remain on forums for me. On the other hand, I could never grow accustomed to Facebook and always ended up deleting/disabling my profile. I think Facebook is nice if you've gotten to know many people throughout your life, but I haven't done so considering my primary means of communication has been forums.

Overall, I prefer forums over social networks and chat services. I don't think they're necessarily going anywhere, but they may continue to see a decline in use as social networks and chat services find new, interesting ways for people to connect.

I won't disagree that forums are somewhat disappearing and Reddit, Discord and Social Media do seem to be taking over to some extent but many of us who are still using forums and even creating forums have been using forums for the best part of 20 years or more and in most cases, it's how we prefer to communicate, share the things we enjoy and meet new people.

As long as there are people on the internet who are loyal to forums, the longer they will stay around, even if they are phasing out somewhat.

Back