Marketplace for Freelancers & Businesses

Is it ethical to use free tools and charge your clients?

Cedric

Agora Founder
Staff member
Administration
Credits
As designers, we have access to a wide range of free tools, some of which we share on Agora - that can help us create stunning visuals and effective user experiences. However, this raises an important ethical question: Is it fair to use free tools and still charge clients for our services?

Questions to Discuss:
  1. Do you use free tools in your professional design work? If so, which ones and why?
  2. Do you believe it is ethical to charge clients for work created using free tools? Why or why not?
  3. How do you justify the use of free tools to your clients, if at all?
  4. Are there situations where using free tools might not be appropriate for client work?
  5. How do you ensure the quality and professionalism of your work when using free tools?
Points for Consideration:
  • Value of Expertise: The value you bring to a project isn't just in the tools you use, but in your skills, creativity, and expertise. How do you communicate this to clients?
  • Transparency: Should designers disclose to clients when they are using free tools? What are the pros and cons of being transparent about the tools used?
  • Cost of Tools vs. Quality of Work: How do you balance the cost of tools with the need to produce high-quality work? Are there free tools that you believe rival paid ones in terms of quality and functionality?
  • Client Expectations: How do client expectations about the tools you use affect your workflow and the final product?
  • Professional Integrity: How does using free tools align with your personal and professional ethics? Do you see any conflict or do you believe it's a smart business practice?
Feel free to share your experiences, opinions, and any relevant examples where you've had to navigate this ethical dilemma.

I see nothing wrong with using free tools and charging your clients for the professional design work you're rendering. Free or paid tools, you need to have the skills to do the job because without it, you won't be able to do and deliver the job.

I don't see anything wrong with using free tools and charging others for your services. It can become expensive if you're wanting to use paid tools, and if you don't have the funds to pay for paid software using free software is a must. It comes down to skill. If potential customers see your skills and decide to hire you, it shouldn't matter what software or tools the freelancer is using IMO.

I don't see anything wrong with using free tools and charging others for your services. It can become expensive if you're wanting to use paid tools, and if you don't have the funds to pay for paid software using free software is a must. It comes down to skill. If potential customers see your skills and decide to hire you, it shouldn't matter what software or tools the freelancer is using IMO.
The most important thing is being able to deliver what your client expects from you whether you are using a free tool or a paid tool, that is the only thing that matters to them. Once you've been able to deliver on that, you have done your job.

I see nothing wrong with this. I did it when I first got started as a graphic designer. I feel making money on your work is only logical no matter what you use to make your graphics.

Questions to Discuss:
  1. Do you use free tools in your professional design work? If so, which ones and why?
  2. Do you believe it is ethical to charge clients for work created using free tools? Why or why not?
  3. How do you justify the use of free tools to your clients, if at all?
  4. Are there situations where using free tools might not be appropriate for client work?
  5. How do you ensure the quality and professionalism of your work when using free tools?
Points for Consideration:
  • Value of Expertise: The value you bring to a project isn't just in the tools you use, but in your skills, creativity, and expertise. How do you communicate this to clients?
  • Transparency: Should designers disclose to clients when they are using free tools? What are the pros and cons of being transparent about the tools used?
  • Cost of Tools vs. Quality of Work: How do you balance the cost of tools with the need to produce high-quality work? Are there free tools that you believe rival paid ones in terms of quality and functionality?
  • Client Expectations: How do client expectations about the tools you use affect your workflow and the final product?
  • Professional Integrity: How does using free tools align with your personal and professional ethics? Do you see any conflict or do you believe it's a smart business practice?
Feel free to share your experiences, opinions, and any relevant examples where you've had to navigate this ethical dilemma.
This may be a long post as I will try to answer all of your questions the best I can.

I'll start off by saying I am not a professional designer, nor do I really know how to design but my thoughts on whether or not it is ethical to use free tools and charge your clients is that yes, it is ethical because you are still providing your clients a service. It doesn't matter that you used something free, you still put in the time and did the design. The way I would justify using the free tool to the clients is that when you sell a drawing usually you use a ruler to make sure your lines are straight. Now the ruler is a free tool and you used it for your drawing but that doesn't mean that your drawing is worthless. The tool may have been free, but my time isn't and if you hire me for a project I will complete that project through any methods necessary. The only time I think it would not be appropriate to use free tools is if the customer themselves ask for you not to use free tools and you agree. The way I would ensure the quality and professionalism of my work when using free tools is to make sure that the focus isn't on the free tool but the end project. Customers probably won't even notice that you used a free tool, they look at the end result and product, I don't think they really look to see if you used a free tool. Also I think the majority of the people who will be hiring you will know little to nothing about Visual Design or UX so I say you're pretty safe to do so.

As for the points of consideration,

You can show potential clients your value by showing them your previous projects and how you were able to help those clients with your skills, creativity and expertise.
I don't think you have to come right out and tell someone that you are using free tools however if a customer asks then obviously being transparent with them is the way to go. You never want to lie to go back on your word to a customer, it just looks bad and you know the customer is going to talk about their experience to others potential clients. I cannot talk on the cost aspect as again I know nothing about doing Visual Design or UX. Same with client expectation.

But yes, this is my opinion on the questions about whether or not it is ethical to use free tools and charge the clients.

If you have skills, you can outperform someone who has paid tools but lacks skills. There are some good free tools available, but if I were a professional with a large number of clients, I would purchase paid tools because, in most circumstances, they help to do work faster.

Like everyone else has mentioned, I think it's fine considering you are putting the time, effort, and expertise into bringing something of value to the client.

However, there might be cases where the tool itself is doing all the work and the client might not know that they can just get this tool themselves and just as easily accomplish it themself. At that point I don't think it's fair.

Like everyone else has mentioned, I think it's fine considering you are putting the time, effort, and expertise into bringing something of value to the client.

However, there might be cases where the tool itself is doing all the work and the client might not know that they can just get this tool themselves and just as easily accomplish it themself. At that point I don't think it's fair.

I'm also thinking that the it's going to be easier for the client to replicate the results themselves, since they can have access to the free tools you're using.

Free tools are available to everyone for use. But then your client has outsourced the work to you for some valid reasons, be it for time constraint or he has other better responsibilities at work and he wants some load to be shared. You have put your time, effort and skill to get the work done. So, you fully deserve to be compensated for the same. There is nothing wrong or unethical here. It's a part of your job.

What people are doing now is that they are doing a job with free tools and you know that the price of internet and time dedicated and also your personal touch is not something free, people may devalorize all this because they want everything for free, they even may remove watermark by crop images from paid services or take screenshot and use paid module on their website without pay for the fee for download, so what about paying someone for his hard work?

I do not see anything wrong with using free tools for a client. I have used a lot of free tools such as Canva, free versions of Photoshop, and websites where I can download free resources while designing, and I still charge my clients. The tools might be free, but my level of knowledge on how to use these tools is nowhere near free. It took me years to learn those skills, not to mention how much I spent in acquiring the skills. With what I am earning right now, using paid tools or premium tools might be too much for me to handle, but using some free tools has made things easier for me. There have also been situations where I had no choice but to use a paid tool or premium tool for a client cause I could not find what I needed in the free tools, but I always ensure I deliver a professional job irrespective of the tools I use, paid or free.

I have never seen any issues with using a free tool to design and charge the client who you are doing the work for. Even though the tool you are using may not cost anything, you are still using your time and your skills to create the design you create and you shouldn't feel guilty charging for those.

I have never seen any issues with using a free tool to design and charge the client who you are doing the work for. Even though the tool you are using may not cost anything, you are still using your time and your skills to create the design you create and you shouldn't feel guilty charging for those.
That’s spot on! Your time, skills, and expertise are the valuable assets that should bring in the compensation. Using the free tools can help reduce costs and the client should normally pay for the outcome, not the tools used.

When I asked myself this question years ago, I landed on a through that can help anyone answer it: "Are my clients paying me for my tools, or are they paying me for my skills, experience, and expertise?".

In many cases, clients do not care what tools you use, as long as you get the job done and produce the results for which they hired you. As someone has stated above, "Someone using free tools but has the skills can outperform one with the best paid tools but poor skills" If the answer to the earlier question is the second option, I do not see any issue with charging clients when I use free tools.

Honestly, it doesn’t matter what tools you use. The real value lies in the final product and the satisfaction of your client. If you've met or exceeded the expectations and delivered a high-quality outcome, then the tools you used to get there are secondary. What matters most is the skill and creativity you bring to the table, not whether the tools were free or paid.

In many cases, free tools can be just as effective as paid ones, especially when used by a skilled designer. The ability to produce stunning visuals and a seamless user experience doesn’t depend on the cost of your software but on your expertise and how you apply it. Clients typically care about the end result - the functionality, aesthetics, and effectiveness of the design - rather than the specifics of the tools used to create it.

Moreover, from a business perspective, I couldn't care less how it's made, as long as it's made as I want it. It’s smart to utilize resources that allow you to maximize efficiency without compromising on quality. If a free tool enables you to deliver a product that meets your client’s needs, then it's a win-win situation in my opinion. The cost of tools is a factor in the production process, but it doesn't diminish the value of your work or justify lowering your fees.

Honestly, it doesn’t matter what tools you use. The real value lies in the final product and the satisfaction of your client. If you've met or exceeded the expectations and delivered a high-quality outcome, then the tools you used to get there are secondary. What matters most is the skill and creativity you bring to the table, not whether the tools were free or paid.

In many cases, free tools can be just as effective as paid ones, especially when used by a skilled designer. The ability to produce stunning visuals and a seamless user experience doesn’t depend on the cost of your software but on your expertise and how you apply it. Clients typically care about the end result - the functionality, aesthetics, and effectiveness of the design - rather than the specifics of the tools used to create it.

Moreover, from a business perspective, I couldn't care less how it's made, as long as it's made as I want it. It’s smart to utilize resources that allow you to maximize efficiency without compromising on quality. If a free tool enables you to deliver a product that meets your client’s needs, then it's a win-win situation in my opinion. The cost of tools is a factor in the production process, but it doesn't diminish the value of your work or justify lowering your fees.
That's spot on! I’m impressed that you perfectly captured what truly matters. The kind of value we bring to clients lies in our expertise, creativity, and the quality of the final product that we deliver . It's not defined by the tools we use. I've actually delivered stunning results using free tools on many occasions.

Back