Marketplace for Freelancers & Businesses

Is managing more than one forum too much?

Ja sa bong

Apprentice
Credits
I've seen some people say they have 5 forums which they own and manage everyday but I can't help it thinking and asking myself how do they pull it off? Unless they are not having any serious activities on those 5 forums, it's the only way I can see them managing it without being burnt out.

With one forum that comes with improved activities and at least 2 to 3 social media handles to manage for it, that one forum is too much work for one person.

What do you think?

I at the moment run one forum myself and co-own another forum and I will admit, that it is not easy to keep up with everything. I couldn't run 5 forums like some people do as I feel at least 2 - 3 of them would end up neglected with the amount of time I have.

I am sticking with the two I have at the moment and will work on those over time.

I've seen some people say they have 5 forums which they own and manage everyday but I can't help it thinking and asking myself how do they pull it off? Unless they are not having any serious activities on those 5 forums, it's the only way I can see them managing it without being burnt out.

With one forum that comes with improved activities and at least 2 to 3 social media handles to manage for it, that one forum is too much work for one person.

What do you think?
I think it all depends on a lot of factors. The amount of how many forums is too many forums will depend on the person. Some people are able to multitask better and are able to keep up with the demand of being an active admin on multiple forums. Some people have the time to be online all day whereas others only really come on an hour or two a day if that. I think another thing to consider too is how active are these forums? I mean if your forum is booming and it's needing more of your attention than maybe you can't really dedicate any extra time to other forums or projects. In addition, it also depends on how much help you're getting with staff and how many tasks you can delegate to someone else.

Think of a forum like a restaurant. There are some people that can only manage to run one restaurant while others are able to own multiple restaurants and still succeed. It really is different from one person to another.

As for with me, I think if I were to be an administrator on a forum I'd want to dedicate all of my time on that forum. Sure I'd probably visit a few websites or forums but I wouldn't be the staff on it. Why? Because to me it would distract me from my ultimate goal: Creating a successful forum. For me there would be lots of planning and because I'm not very advanced in the coding part of things or design work I'd really have to work hard to ensure the forum would be smooth sailing once I go live with it. So, with that said I'd be staff (mods) on possibly more than one forum but to be admin, one is good for me. Though that may change if I do get more familiar with coding or design or I get the hang of things but for now and for a while I'd be good with one forum.

I at the moment run one forum myself and co-own another forum and I will admit, that it is not easy to keep up with everything. I couldn't run 5 forums like some people do as I feel at least 2 - 3 of them would end up neglected with the amount of time I have.

I am sticking with the two I have at the moment and will work on those over time.
It's good that you are aware of your limits though because some people exhaust themselves out by trying to keep up.

I've tried managing multiple forums in the past and although I could handle it easily due to how much free time I have, I prefer to manage one forum at a time. Now, when you become staff at many forums and have your forum(s) to manage, it can be somewhat exhausting. I like to keep it minimal and not have too much on my plate at once. Managing one forum is good enough for me. If I had more of a deep passion for a subject I could get a second forum off the ground, then I wouldn't mind managing two forums, but managing one forum is enough to keep my mind at peace and keep focusing on the forum that I created.

I'd definitely never attempt to manage more than one. I'd be spreading myself too thinly if I did that.

I'm not on forums every waking moment... I have work, sleep, and other hobbies, after all!

It may be that this is their full-time job and they have enough time and skills to manage so many forums at once, I know people online who have more than 3 forums and are able to manage them all, they also delegate a lot of the work that the forums require for their good management, in short, it all depends on the time you have, the resources you also have to delegate work to other people or your passion for the forums in the last stay.

I'd definitely never attempt to manage more than one. I'd be spreading myself too thinly if I did that.

I'm not on forums every waking moment... I have work, sleep, and other hobbies, after all!

Yeah, that's the issue with doing so, especially when you don't have the time to be able to manage more than a forum. It is not even easy to be able to manage just a forum.

I've taken on a few before but it was tough, and it felt like I was implementing a bunch of half-measures to accommodate them.

I'd rather just focus on one forum and try to make that as good as it can be.

Back