Marketplace for Freelancers & Businesses

New evidence claims Google, Microsoft, Meta, and Amazon could be listening to you on your devices

Cpvr

Novice Trader
Staff member
Community Moderator
Credits
Companies are always looking to understand what potential customers are searching for online. With that information, they can target users with ads tailored to the products or services they’re interested in. However, not everyone conducts online searches for everything they plan to buy. What if companies could listen to people’s everyday conversations and use that data to send them even more targeted ads?

According to a report from 404 Media, Cox Media Group (CMG) proposed this very idea to potential advertising partners. The tech news outlet recently obtained a November 2023 pitch deck from CMG outlining its "Active Listening" service. This service would allow ads to be targeted based on audio data from smart devices like smartphones, smart speakers, and smart TVs.

The CMG sales pitch opens with: "What if your business could target potential clients discussing their need for your services in daily conversations? No, this isn’t a scene from *Black Mirror*—it’s Voice Data, and CMG has the tools to make it work for your business."

The presentation also highlights that companies can legally collect this kind of data from users. "Creepy? Maybe. Effective for marketing? Absolutely," the pitch declares.

404 Media first reported on CMG's "Active Listening" initiative last year, detailing how microphones in smart devices were being used to listen to user conversations for advertising purposes. With the release of this pitch deck, the marketing strategy is now in full view.

For years, internet users have suspected Big Tech companies like Google, Amazon, Meta (Facebook), and Microsoft of eavesdropping on them. Now, 404 Media has evidence that CMG was actively promoting this type of service. CMG has previously worked with these tech giants in various capacities.

So, what’s the response from Big Tech?

Mashable reached out to Google, Amazon, Meta, and Microsoft, the four companies mentioned in CMG’s pitch. All of them denied participating in CMG’s Active Listening program.

"Meta does not use your phone’s microphone for ads, and we've been transparent about this for years," a Meta spokesperson told Mashable. "We’re reaching out to CMG to clarify that their program isn’t based on Meta data."

Meta also confirmed it’s investigating whether CMG violated Facebook’s terms and policies, and said it would take action if necessary. Amazon, Google, and Microsoft similarly distanced themselves from the initiative.

"Amazon Ads has never worked with CMG on this program and has no plans to do so," an Amazon representative stated.

Google emphasized that its advertising policies require compliance with laws and regulations, and that violations are acted upon accordingly. Microsoft echoed these concerns, stating it would investigate and take necessary actions.

Although the tech companies denied involvement, concerns about privacy and smart device eavesdropping are likely to persist among consumers.

Source: https://mashable.com/article/cox-media-group-active-listening-google-microsoft-amazon-meta

These companies and their representatives gas lit us into thinking we were crazy and conspiracy theorists for suggesting they were listening to us. Then it turns out they were all along!

I cannot say I am surprised they have been doing this because social media companies are inherently evil according to me, I am just surprised it has taken this long for a high-level executive or company to come out and say it.

That's an alarming revelation! This idea of firms erasing and listening to our conversations poses a lot of questions on the privacy aspect. I believe that users should have stronger control over data and their ability to choose whether certain things should be allowed or not.

That's an alarming revelation! This idea of firms erasing and listening to our conversations poses a lot of questions on the privacy aspect. I believe that users should have stronger control over data and their ability to choose whether certain things should be allowed or not.
The only problem is that 99.99% of people give up those rights and their privacy when they agree to the terms and conditions when signing up or agree to new ones when they are updated without reading them.

The only problem is that 99.99% of people give up those rights and their privacy when they agree to the terms and conditions when signing up or agree to new ones when they are updated without reading them.
This is true! Many users unknowingly surrendered their privacy by accepting terms without reading them. This has really taught me to be aware of what I'm consenting to.

Back