Marketplace for Freelancers & Businesses

Offering Discounts to Friends and Family

Ravenfreak

Apprentice
Credits
There may come a time where you need to work on a project for a friend or family member. When this time comes, do you like to offer your friends and family a discount that you wouldn't offer to other clients? Or do you expect your friends and family to pay the same amount that another client would pay? I feel like if you gave out discounts to friends and family, this may look bad. This could possibly lead to clients going elsewhere. Offering discounts to every potential customer looks better in my opinion.

I offer a friends and family discount to a certain degree. I refrain from providing services for free to friends and family, as I've been taken advantage of too often in the past. Typically, depending on the base price of a project, I would offer a discount of 50% to 75%.

As of right now, none of my friends or family need to make use of the services that I offer either because it is not something that would help their business or they just don't need it at the moment.

If my friends or family ever needed to use my services, I would give them a discount without a second thought.

I have never charged money from my friends (real friends) and family, I have always worked for free. But then I don't offer free services too much. However, I offer huge discounts to my virtual friends. Sometimes I slash my rate by 50 percent.

Giving friends and family discounts can be a very tricky situation. But ultimatly, i think it's right for them not to pay the same rate as everyone else.

Last edited:
There are certain family members and friends who remain unaware of my current online job. I intentionally keep it that way. I choose not to divulge the details of my work to them since I am mindful of their potential reactions. It could possibly cause me distress. Consequently, nobody within my circle has ever availed themselves of my services, and I do not foresee this changing, particularly with family members. Nevertheless, if situations arise where they require the services I provide, I am open to offering them a discounted rate. I would readily extend this offer without any hesitation. In fact, for those who hold a special place in my heart, I may even consider providing my services free of charge. I do not mind doing such a simple deed at all.

When it comes to rendering my services to my friends and family, I usually give them a fair price I know they can handle. Business is business, the materials and resources I use are not free, so I can't exactly give them for free. Though there have been times I have done certain designs for free, it is only in my free time.

Back