Marketplace for Freelancers & Businesses

Reddit CEO hints that subreddit paywalls are on the way

Cpvr

Novice Trader
Staff member
Community Moderator
Credits
Reddit's Post-IPO Revenue Strategy: What to Expect

Reddit might charge to access some subreddits in the near future.

Reddit has remained relatively unchanged and free from excessive monetization, unlike many other social platforms. However, with its recent IPO, the company may be shifting gears to appease shareholders. CEO Steve Huffman hinted at potential paywalls for some subreddits during the company's second earnings call on Tuesday.

"We plan to maintain the core, free version of Reddit, allowing it to flourish as it always has," Huffman stated, according to Engadget. "But we're also exploring new opportunities, such as exclusive content or private areas within subreddits."

Leading up to and following its IPO, Reddit has actively sought new revenue streams. One of the most contentious moves was the significant increase in API fees, which forced many third-party apps out of the market. More recently, Reddit partnered with Google, enabling the tech giant to use Reddit posts to train its models. Additionally, Reddit now requires other search engines to pay for access to its content and has entered into a licensing agreement with OpenAI, allowing user posts and comments to train ChatGPT.

Beyond monetizing user data and considering paywalls, Reddit is also exploring AI-driven search capabilities. "Later this year, we will begin testing AI-powered search result pages designed to summarize and recommend content, helping users explore products, shows, games, and discover new communities on Reddit," Huffman explained. He noted that AI-generated search could eventually become a new source of ad revenue.

Reddit's Q2 earnings report revealed a 54% increase in sales from the previous year and a reduction in net losses from $41 million to $10 million. While this is promising news for investors, it remains to be seen how these changes will impact the Reddit community.

Source: https://mashable.com/article/reddit-ceo-hints-subreddit-paywalls-on-the-way-earnings-call

It's been a major concern because the introduction of paywalls for exclusive content, private areas, and enhanced features has made people worried about the community's openness and future.

What is wrong with these people? Haven't they seen what has happened to news sites with paywalled content? I am not saying Reddit might suffer revenue loss if it does this, but the past is a huge indicator it might.

What is wrong with these people? Haven't they seen what has happened to news sites with paywalled content? I am not saying Reddit might suffer revenue loss if it does this, but the past is a huge indicator it might.
I see the introduction of paywalls leading to a decline in user engagement and revenue. I’ve seen news sites struggled with this type of model.

Back