Marketplace for Freelancers & Businesses

The Business of Writing

uptrendfinancialsignal

Novice Trader
Credits
As a freelancer, it took me a long time to learn that the business of writing is just like a craft. You’e got to develop various skills to succeed in business writing. But based on my experience, what has really worked for me is making sure to set clear boundaries with clients and also having contract in place. The importance of staying organized and keeping track of your expenses can not be overemphasized. Has anyone struggled with the business side of writing?

Writing is a skill that can be easily monetized. However, the business part of being a writer is technical. You have to understand how to market your writing skills, and how to price your writing services. As a writer, you would need to understand complex niches and how to negotiate for those kinds of gigs. Some people even go as far as creating a writing agency where they get jobs and outsource to writers that are on their portfolio.

If you want to engage in the business of writing, there are certain things to put into consideration, including freelance writing rates and contracts, marketing and promoting your work, and building a personal brand as a writer. Don't forget that you need to learn how to manage finances and taxes as a writer too. Additionally, it's very essential to learn to also set clear boundaries and expectations with your clients. Having a contract in place is very important as well.

I think that as a writer what you can best take care of is your writing and therefore your reputation, with that you will be able to create a good list of contacts and clients who may require your work in the future if you give a good job, that will speak for you more than anything else because at the end of the day, your job is to write.

Building an email list and newsletter is very essential, and it's a key to marketing your work and connecting with other readers. It is also very important to not forget to track your expenses and deductions for tax season.

Back