Marketplace for Freelancers & Businesses

What's the best method to avoid scams as a Freelancer?

Cedric

Agora Founder
Staff member
Administration
Credits
How do you avoid getting scammed?

We've all heard horror stories about freelancers doing tons of work and then not getting paid, or getting involved in projects that turn out to be nothing but trouble. It's a real risk out there, and therefore the purpose of this topic.

Here are a few pieces of advice that I've found useful:

1. Research Your Clients: Before agreeing to work with someone, take a little time to research them. Check their LinkedIn profile, see if they have a professional website, and look for any reviews or feedback from other freelancers.
  2. Use Freelance Platforms: Platforms like Upwork and Fiverr have built-in protections for freelancers, like escrow payments and dispute resolution services. These can be a lifesaver if things go south.
  3. Get Everything in Writing: Always have a contract in place that outlines the scope of work, payment terms, deadlines, and any other important details. This not only provides clarity but also gives you something to fall back on if there's a dispute.
  4. Request Upfront Payments: For larger projects, ask for a percentage of the payment upfront. This shows that the client is serious and also gives you some security.
  5. Trust Your Gut: If something feels off, it probably is. Trust your instincts and don't be afraid to walk away from a project that seems too good to be true or if the client is acting shady.
What about ya'll? Have you ever been scammed, or come close to it? What strategies do you use to protect yourself?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and experiences!

Thank you @Cedric for this very informative thread on the best ways to avoid being scammed as a freelancer. I have heard my fair share of horror stories when it comes to freelance work (a lot of my friends do freelancing). I felt bad for them because they had encountered some pretty horrible people who really used them & their time and didn't pay them. Because of that my friends now have a contract they make people sign and they also don't start a project until the initial fee is paid.

Being a freelancer is hard work and so it's really smart to research your potential clients because who knows, maybe you'll find out that they owe other freelancers money and you just avoided a toxic client. Make sure to protect yourself and your clients by getting them to sign a contract so that you both are on the same page as to what is expected and also give time lines on when certain things should be done. Ultimately you are your own boss which means YOU get to chose your clients and if you feel like a client is giving you bad vibes or you feel like they may be too much LISTEN.

I agree with everything that Cedric has said above. At the end of the day you just want to make sure you are good and that the work you've done isn't for nothing.

Using freelance platforms I’d very important. The ratio probability of any freelancer getting scammed on Fiverr and upwork is very low because they are repo established freelance platforms. The probability of scams will surely be high if one is conducting business outside freelance platforms.

When you work on freelancing platforms, there is almost zero chance of getting scammed as transactions are protected by escrow services. For example, a contractor cannot hire you on Upwork or Fiverr until he deposits money on the platform. If you are working independently, make sure you ask the client to use Escrow for sending payment. Never use paypal as transactions can be reversed.

Those are excellent tips, Sir Cedric. I have been working as an online freelancer for over a decade. At one point, I fell victim to a scam because I could not identify fake clients. However, over time, I became quite adept at spotting them. I gained most of my knowledge from online articles and received valuable advice from friends who are also freelancers. In addition to the points you mentioned, it is essential to be wary of unrealistic online job offers. If something seems dodgy, it probably is. Moreover, be cautious if the communication is unclear and if you are being pressed to perform immediately. It is indispensable to stay updated on the latest scams to protect yourself. Make sure to back up or create a copy of your files, too, in case of any problems later.

One of the best ways to avoid scams as a freelancer is to use freelance sites that offer protection if a scam does happen.

Some do offer their services solo though, I am someone who does and it can sometimes result in scams, this is one of the reasons I either take payment upfront.

I would add, be cautious of clients asking for personal information, upfront fees, or work outside the agreed scope. The first is about identity theft, and the last two are about losing money and your work.

Also, avoid very elaborate "tests" to get hired. Some clients want you to do a lot of work as a test of your skills. In many cases, these are people looking for free work, and you are very unlikely to hear from them once you submit the work.

Tests are fine, but they should not be unreasonable. If the details are too specific or if the client will not consider past work samples to prove your skills, reconsider working with them.

I would add, be cautious of clients asking for personal information, upfront fees, or work outside the agreed scope. The first is about identity theft, and the last two are about losing money and your work.

Also, avoid very elaborate "tests" to get hired. Some clients want you to do a lot of work as a test of your skills. In many cases, these are people looking for free work, and you are very unlikely to hear from them once you submit the work.

Tests are fine, but they should not be unreasonable. If the details are too specific or if the client will not consider past work samples to prove your skills, reconsider working with them.
I’m always very careful whenever clients seek my personal info or work beyond our agreed scope. I make it a point of duty to verify the legitimacy, set clear boundaries, and also prioritise my time and skills. This has really helped me to avoid falling prey to scams.

Back