Marketplace for Freelancers & Businesses

What's the biggest mistake you've made in a design project?

uptrendfinancialsignal

Novice Trader
Credits
I once made a big mistake in one design project. It was a school poster I was working on and I accidentally used the wrong font for the title. Normall, it was supposed to be a fancy font, but I mistakenly used a plain font instead.

The worse part is that I didn't notice until I had already printed out about 100 copies. I was so frustrated. But , honestly, I learned my lesson.

To be honest, I have made a lot of mistakes that I can't even keep count of any longer. There was one time I made a design for a client before getting paid. In the end, the client refused to pay me. Last year I misspelled a word and only found out about the mistake after I had printed it out. I had to spend extra in reprinting the whole thing again.

I remember one time, I was hired by someone to create a graphic for their business, I was quite happy to take on the task and work hard on it but it wasn't until I delivered the work that I got feedback and the feedback was a spelling mistake I had made and had not noticed. I was frustrated at myself for not proofreading what I had put on the graphic to avoid spelling mistakes.

Luckily it was an easy fix and also taught me to always proofread.

Don't really have anything that comes to mind at the moment, but nonetheless wanted to share what I think are some big mistakes you shouldn't make.

1. Designing based on personal preferences rather than the needs and preferences of the audience and client. There is no room for personal preference. You can add your style to it, but if the client makes you design something their way, then do so.

2. Prioritizing design elements that look good over those that enhance usability and functionality. Easy navigation should always come first before visual design.

3. Not maintaining a clear and consistent communication with the client throughout the project. It's okay to be late, it's okay to ask feedback, it's okay to ask for a second opinion. As a client, it's great to be able to provide feedback in the process.

4. Using inconsistent fonts, colors, and design elements across different parts of the project. Nothing is more unprofessional than not having the same consistency throughout the design. Details matter.

5. Ignoring responsiveness. Design mobile first, then desktop, but make sure it's seamless on every view.

Back