Marketplace for Freelancers & Businesses

Which coding language should a new developer start with?

Ravenfreak

Apprentice
Credits
I know this is probably going to be a bit difficult to answer, since most developers tend to stick with whatever language they're most comfortable with. However, for those who are new to coding for a website which language should one start with? Python's syntax is pretty easy, but is it viable to learn for webmaster purposes? I know a little bit of Python, and I was teaching myself some php in the past. I'd love to hear everyone's feedback!

It all depends on what you want to create. If you want to create websites start with the bare-bone basics of HTML and CSS. Then later on dwell into JavaScript. I can only speak for front-end web development since that's all I've ever known.

This is a helpful thread because I would like to learn to code and was actually just wondering which one would be best to start off with.

Well, lets clarify a few things.

1) Html is not a programming language. It is a markup language. Various tech stacks use it along with CSS as does your browser to represent a http message (the response side of that communication is your web page) among other things but that is the primary use. They build page structure and style respectively. Yes, some will argue these points. I do not care.

2) There are two primary types of coding environments in respect to web development. Server side and client side. It is true this line has been blurred somewhat with the wide adoption of Nodejs. Node is arguably one of the worst things to happen to the internet in a very long time. Just my opinion.

If I were just starting out I would start with any of the languages that share a C style syntax. Since it will make it easier to learn another language that shares that same code syntax style. Say Php and Javascript. They are very close in syntax. Go is another one that has very nice syntax that is more or less of the same branch.

I would also consider whether its a compiled or "run time" language. Start with a runtime language like Php or JS and get a good grasp of either or both before jumping into something like C# etc. Your knowledge base will have grown and you will have an easier time just setting up all of the tooling you will need to both write and compile the code.

Most importantly. Remember. It is learning a new language. Only with programming you have two master dictionaries. The one that holds the languages core API's (ie the Classes/Methods/Functions etc) and the one that you write (your application/program) to interact with them. Programming is the art of data manipulation. Start with the basics.

Most of all. Have fun =)

P.S. If you wanna get real crazy you could start by learning:

Depending on what you want to create will depend on the coding language you start with. Most tend to start with HTML and CSS as they are fairly easy to learn and are great for websites and even forums too.

That's a very good question! For me, I think Python is an awesome language for new developers to actually start with. It's very easy to read and write. Another important reason is, it's super versatile.

Back