Marketplace for Freelancers & Businesses

You have to have an account to see content

Cpvr

Novice Trader
Staff member
Community Moderator
Credits
So, some forum owners like to keep their content to members only, but I don't see the point of that at all. Especially if you're trying to build a community in the long run. Not only are you blocking out search engine bots and guests, you're just inflating your members base with users who just want an account to see the content. Is that what it's all about though? Building your members-list?

How does everyone feel about this though? Are you turned off by forums that do this or does it not matter to you?

No, I don't like this feature when it's used in forums. I don't bother with joining such forums because it makes me feel like they have something to hide from the start.

If there are contents that you don’t what those that do not have account to see, just make it exclusive to members. It is counterproductive to let those that are not members know that, they would just leave instead of registering.

I agree, it works the other way around. Instantly I will close the website. I’ve only seen it work with adult websites.

I'm not a fan of this approach. I like to browse the community as a guest before I join to get a feel for what the community stands for and what they're talking about. There's been countless times where I was interested in a forum only to be disappointed that guests couldn't view anything. However there are a few hidden sections on a few of my forums that only a certain group can see, which is fine since they're usually sections for more taboo discussions and not everyone wants to partake in those discussions.

I agree, it works the other way around. Instantly I will close the website. I’ve only seen it work with adult websites.
Some adult websites allows you full access to do access their content without having to register. It's only a handful of them that asks for subscription before you can watch their videos but you can access pictures.

I remember when I first started out creating forums and I was new to it all, I thought it was a great idea to lock the forum down to an extent to push people to register for the forum, how wrong was I!

Slowly I learned that it is best to allow guests to have access to the content you have so that they can take a look and determine if the forum is something they are looking for, not only that, having guests able to see your content can help greatly with traffic as well.

I don't mind when some content is locked behind a registration wall, but when all content is locked behind a registration wall I never bother to register. If I can't get a glimpse at what the discussions or how members treat each other are like on the board, that turns me away. All I hide behind my registration wall are the primary resources of the forum, that being codes and skins. Why do I do this you may ask? For one, it does help the registration rate increase. Unfortunately, most people who register on my forum log in once or a few times and I never see them again, but by registering I at least have something to show for how useful the resources are on the board. Also, when you own a resource board it's nice to have the user's details on file (such as email and IP address) in case ripping/copyright infringement ever occurs. I can understand "premium" sections being hidden from guests, but when people hide forums like a general discussion forum, I question why I would even want to register.

Back