Marketplace for Freelancers & Businesses

You Might Not Need jQuery

Cory

Novice Trader
Credits

What are your thoughts on this site? Does it explain how jQuery can be essentially obsolete and Vanilla JavaScript may be more accurate and demanding, or is jQuery still relevant in today's coding universe?

Vanilla JS is quickly deprecating JQuery. In my opinion it can not happen fast enough. Historically JQuery was simpler to use than vanilla js but that is really no longer the case. Especially since JQeury really does not handle any of the more complicated aspects of advanced js application development such as state, it does not provide any concept of "application". It's mostly ajax, which is just as easy, if not more so now with the new Fetch API, and some DOM manipulation. Which really is just as easy now days with vanilla js.

Just my two cents.

That makes sense, I think the main purpose of jQuery was not only to simplify coding but to make it more browser-compatible. With the latest versions of web browsers these days and web browsers forcing updates, most Vanilla JavaScript you come across will be fully supported by your latest web browser. I primarily use jQuery just because that's what the service (Jcink) has installed that I support. I don't dabble with coding much elsewhere.

Back