Marketplace for Freelancers & Businesses

Is Your Forum or Blog a Business?

Nomad

Novice Trader
Credits
Are you running your forum or a blog as a business, or it is just your hobby project. When you run as a business, your focus will be on generating revenue and sales and when you are running as a hobby project, you will not care about money instead you might even spend money from your pockets. Well, I am running forums and blogs as a business, but I do not generate a lot of income.

At the moment I am not running a business from any of my forums or blogs but would like to see one become a business at a later date.

At the moment they are all ran as hobbies and I am happy with that.

I own a forum that a friend of mine donated to me in 2022, as he had lost the interest to run it. It's a free from any charge forum, as it's hosted by forumfree (nor I nor the old admin, now having become the tech admin, are in conditions to pay for a domain name and hosting). In addition, I live in a country where bureaucracy is so cumbersome I would be compelled to get rid of my current VAT to open a new VAT specifically dedicated to bloggers and YouTubers, to not get in trouble with the R.S.I. Worse, my forum is headquartered abroad, so due to the financial and tax laws of my country, I should sign a currency exchange contract with a bank, activate invoice billing plus national billing. And it costs an arm and a leg. So I stick with my completely for free forum, that my users and I get referrals for our pay to favourite programs. It isn't a business, nor a hobby tout court. I would say it stays in a middle way between the 2 options, as we earn something from the pay to programs we present when we get referrals.

Even if it's a side hustle, a forum or blog definitely requires business planning, tax compliance, and legal protection as well. It is very important to set clear goals and track expenses as well. This will help you adapt to changes in your niche.

If your forum or blog is all about purchasing decisions or if it offers exclusive content, it's a business. This means you need to continuously create value, engage with your audience, and explore monetisation strategies because this will help you grow your online presence.

For me, my blog started as a hobby, but over time, I started to make plans to make it a business. Currently, I'm seriously planning to monetise it through advertising, affiliate marketing, and sponsored content.

Back